Skip to main content

Disability Services

Accessibility Statement

Interested persons can obtain information as to the existence and location of services, activities, and facilities that are accessible to and usable by disabled persons by contacting the SECTION 504 COORDINATOR/ADA COORDINATOR, 1209 Harrison, Goodland, Kansas 67735 (7858903641).

Student Support Services

The Student Services staff along with administration and instructors at Northwest Kansas Technical College is always open to any student who desires to visit regarding personal problems, progress in an individual program of study, or any other area. It is the college’s desire to help students witproblems, which might arise during their stay at the Northwest Tech.  Please come in to visit with us anytime.  We are available to assist you and ensure your success as a student.

  •  Student Success Seminar
    All new students at Northwest Tech are required to enroll in a one credit hour Student Success Seminar course. This course orients students to Northwest Tech and college life. Students are instructed in study skills, reading skills, interpersonal skills, financial management, healthy behaviors, proper technology use, organization and time management. Students also learn about the student support services available at the college.
  • Academic Support
    Northwest Tech is committed to student success. Academic support services, including tutoring, are available at the Max Jones library. The Student Success Seminar teaches key concepts for academic and personal success in college to all incoming students. 
  • Accommodations, Adjustments, or Aids to Students with Disabilities
    Northwest Tech is committed to serving all students and does not discriminate. Students needing accommodations may request them from the Dean of Students. 

Northwest Kansas Technical College provides and coordinates services tstudents with disabilities in order to accommodate their disability and promote equal access to educational opportunities.  Information regarding accommodations for students with disabilities is available from the Section 504 Coordinator/ADA Coordinator/TitleVI Coordinator, Dean of Studentswho is located in the Administration Building at 1209 Harrison, Goodland, Kansas 67735 (7858903641). Accommodations are provided on an individual, as needed basis after the student requests assistance. Students requesting assistance are encouraged to complete an intake interview with the 504 Coordinator.

It is the responsibility of the student requesting the accommodation to have current documentation from an appropriate diagnostician (e.g., physician, psychologist, or past educational organization) regarding the nature of his or her disability and the need for any requested academic adjustment or auxiliary aids.  If a student does not request an accommodation, Northwest Tech is not obligated to provide one.Students may always choose whether or not to identify themselves as having a disability, but students who want the college to provide an accommodation need to follow these procedures.   

Requesting Accommodations

To request accommodations, students must complete the Disability Service In-Take Form.

A student seeking accommodations for a disability is requested to provide documentation about the disability to the Academic Office and meet with the Dean of Academic Advancement or an academic staff member to discuss the disability and requested accommodations.  On the basis of any documentation and the interview, staff determines whether a student is a qualified student with a disability and which accommodations are reasonable.

Requests for accommodations should be made in a timely manner and as far in advance of the relevant course, exam, activity or program as possible to allow for appropriate consideration and planning.  Failure to do so may result in a delay of services.

College staff will identify approved accommodations in an Accommodations Form, a copy of which will be shared with the student.  For academic accommodations, staff will notify faculty members via email correspondence summarizing the approved accommodations.  Faculty and other college officials are then expected to provide the accommodations in accordance with the instructions provided by Dean of Academic Advancement.  If the faculty member or other college official does not agree to an accommodation request, the faculty member, college official, or student should contact the Dean of Academic Advancement.

Academic staff will work with faculty and staff as appropriate to assist with how accommodations might be implemented in the classroom as well as to respond to any questions or concerns of faculty or staff regarding the appropriateness of an accommodation.

Vocational Rehabilitation 
Many states provide services for students with disabilities. Services may include career counseling, financial assistance, tutoring and personal counseling. 

Accessing Student Support Services

To simplify the student experience, students may contact Lisa Blair, Ph.D., Dean of Academic Advancement, at or (785) 890-1514. They will direct you to the proper student services support personnel.

Click here to view the Northwest Tech Disability Services Policy.