Skip to main content

UAV Available Classes



Commercial truck driving jobs are opening every day. In fact, according to an article by, there is a nationwide shortage of drivers! A commercial driver’s license is the first step to becoming a more marketable job candidate. Don’t miss out on the chance to become certified by taking our CDL course!

The purpose of this course is to prepare students to obtain a Kansas Commercial Driver’s License. The comprehensive course includes test preparation, simulator driving, and truck driving.

After completing the course, students must gain actual licensure from the Department of Motor Vehicles.


AE 107 - FAA Part 107 - Practice Test w Flight
January 19, 2021 - May 7, 2021
Tuesday's & Thursday's
3:00 - 4:30 PM

AE 107 - FAA Part 107 - Practice Test w Flight
January 19, 2021 - May 7, 2021
Tuesday's & Thursday's
3:00 - 4:30 PM

AE 109 - FAR Part 107 - Advanced
January 19, 2021 - May 7, 2021
Tuesday's & Thursday's
3:00 - 4:30 PM

AE 111 - Private Pilot Ground School
January 19, 2021 - May 7, 2021
3:00 - 6:00 PM

AE 209 - UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) Technology
January 19, 2021 - May 7, 2021
Monday's & Wednesday's
3:00 - 4:30 PM


  • Is this open to everyone?
    • This is open to anyone who desires to obtain a CDL. It is highly suggested for those in the Diesel and Precision Ag programs. There will be a 15-20 student limit for the course.
  • I have 27 credit hours this semester. Will I have to pay?
    • Yes, you will, or wait until you’ll have a semester in which you’re taking 24 or fewer credits. The course will run again in the Spring and Summer semesters.
  • What is involved in getting a CDL? 
    • Depending on the class of license you intend to get, the first step is to take and pass the written tests (and pay the fee). Once you’ve passed the written tests you will obtain a CLP (Commercial Learners Permit), which you’ll have to have to a minimum of 14 days before you can graduate to a full license. This CLP is good for 6 months of practicing with a licensed CDL driver or instructor. You will need to pass 3 practical exams with the DMV Examiner: Pre-trip inspection, backing maneuvers, and on-road driving.
  • That’s a lot of work for a license. Are you sure I have to do all that?
    • Having a CDL is privilege and responsibility. Being responsible for 40-tons of steel at 70 mph requires a lot of work and skill. We want everyone to be safe out there.
  • I have an out of state license. Can I take the course? 
    • Yes, you can take the course, do the backing maneuvers and use the simulator, however, until you obtain a CLP from your home state or transfer your home state license to Kansas, you will not be able to drive the vehicle on the road.


Current students may add the course by completing an add/drop form at either the admissions or academic affairs office.


Northwest Tech Campus
Precision Agriculture Technology
1209 Harrison
Goodland, KS 67735


Mark Dickey


Tuition and fees:


Tuition = $450

Fee = $250



This includes the cost of tuition and classroom instruction, simulator drive time, drive time instruction, and the gas needed to meet the driving requirements.

Additional fees to obtain a permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles may apply.

Application and payment of all fees/tuition are required prior to participation in the UAV program at Northwest Tech.


  • High School Diploma or GED. (High school seniors considered)
  • At least 18 years of age to obtain a CDL license.
  • A valid driver’s license.

Enrollment Info

For further enrollment information email the Admissions Office or call 785.890.3641.